Fire Prevention Week is Just Around the Corner: October 7 - 13, 2018
NFPA’s theme this year is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere. This theme aligns with the 3 principles of Prevention, Detection, and Escape, and provides flexibility for communities to focus on any specific local issues.
- Look for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them. That’s Prevention!
- Listen for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could have only minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Go to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance from the home and where everyone should meet. Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas and test them monthly. That’s Detection!
- Learn two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter. That’s Escape!
- Draw a map of your home(PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
For more information at www.nfpa.org/public-education/campaigns/Fire Prevention Week.