The NEW Yard Waste Program will be open for the season starting Wednesday, May 3, 2017 with significant modifications from previous years. Here is what to expect:
NEW: Two monitored, fenced disposal sites
With the two yard waste disposal sites fenced, monitored by an attendant, and operating on a schedule, we can now offer an enhanced Residential Yard Waste Program, providing:
- Improved safety onsite
- Improved control over contamination (such as plastic bags and household waste)
- Improved products for composting, including onsite wood chipping
NEW: Arriving prepared and emptying contents
The Yard Waste Program changes in effect make an impact on how residents will be required to organize and separate yard waste before transporting it for disposal, and on their experience once arriving at either of the Residential Yard Waste Sites. Below are some tips to help you prepare for your visit.
1. Separate wood/branches from organic yard waste BEFORE you leave your home.
- Grass clippings, Leaves, Weeds, Plant Matter, Potting Soil
- No plastic bags, no pots, nor non-compostable materials.
ACCEPTABLE WOOD TRIMMINGS
- Branches - thickness must be 8 inch diameter or less, for onsite chipping purposes
- No Larger Branches, ( >8”dia)
- Please transport oversized branches (which are subject to fees) to Landfill wood pile for commercial chipping.
2. Follow attendant’s direction for parking and unloading at the sites.
3. Empty the contents of bags and containers into the bins and adhere to the instructions given by the attendant.
TIPS FOR DISPOSAL
- Reusable containers for yard waste collection, such as garbage cans that you are no longer using for household waste, are easy to empty and take back home.
- Emptied plastic bags can be deposited in the garbage cart provided onsite.
NEW: Locations and Hours of Operation
Bins are located at:
- I-Plex, North parking lot
- Swift Current Mall, West parking lot
Sites will be open:
- Wednesdays and Thursdays Evenings from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm
- Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30 am to 6:30 pm
The City Landfill also has a Yard Waste disposal area, open:
- Monday to Saturday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Empty the contents of yard waste bags as directed by landfill attendant, for FREE disposal, all year long.
- Bagged yard waste will be subject to applicable fees, so it pays to de-bag your yard waste!
- Oversized branches over 8 inches in diameter may be subject to fees.
- Fees applied by scale operator are final.
With these modifications to the Residential Yard Waste program, we can ensure that the product from collection of yard waste is compostable and decrease the incidence of contamination experienced in previous years. Please accept our gratitude for complying with the purpose of the program.